Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Leaf Template Tutorial

I wanted to try one of Pam’s templates, and this template with the leaf for journaling was perfect for the cute photos that I took recently of my grandchildren, Katie and Adam. As you can tell, I didn’t follow the template exactly, but used it as a guide for my layout.



First, I printed the template out on 12x12 paper with a large format printer. You can also print on 8.5x11 and piece the template together. This gave me a pattern to use for my large leaf. The small leaves were punched from some paper that I created just for the leaves.

I used several different “Fall” colored inks and my Tim Holtz foam pads for blending the inks. For this example I used inks in mustard seed (yellow), spiced marmalade (orange), Prussian blue, and fire brick (red). With the foam pad, I rubbed the each ink on plain white cardstock, using a circular motion. Just add the different inks right on top of each other. Continue blending using different colors until you get the look you want.
The Prussian blue might seem a little odd, but when mixed with the yellow, you get a very nice green color.


Once you get the look you want, use a large leaf punch or use the small leaf on the template as a pattern to trace on the back of the cardstock and then cut them out. The beauty of this method is that when you punch or cut your leaves, no two leaves will be the same color.


You might have noticed that I included a small “cat-eye” inker in the first picture. That is a copper color ink. After I punch the leaves out, I just rubbed the edges with the copper ink. The copper is really a nice finishing touch.

I hope you’ll try one of Pam’s templates. It really speeds up the process when you know what your design will be.

Papers used in this layout are from Deja Views – Global views.

9 comments:

  1. Sue, your LO is beautiful!! I love the leaves you made!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love your take on the template! Fabulous work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fantastic! LOVE the fall color scheme and your leaves... amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much, Susan, you used the template so well!! Love the leaf technique as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABulous techniques on this, Susan. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely awesome technique Susan! Your layout is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete