Thursday, March 11, 2010

Embossing Chipboard

I've been on a BIG embossing kick lately. I love embossing paper, and I love the embossed look of grungeboard. I have too much chipboard though, and I've been trying to use my stash. I figured I would try to run some of my chipboard through my Cuttlebug to see how well it would emboss instead of going out and buying more grungeboard. First, I ran the chipboard through dry. That didn't work very well at all, so I sprayed the chipboard with water to make it more pliable. After some experimentation, I recommend using the smaller patterned embossing folders for a crisp impression.

Here's the folder I used. It's called "Swiss Dots".


I sprayed my chipboard piece with water, cranked it through. I used the same plates that you would use to emboss paper. Here are the three pieces I came up with after all of my experiments. If you use the Maya Mist before you run the piece through, you can stain your embossing folder. I decided to use mine on the finished chipboard piece after the water I used had dried.


The first piece is the plain chipboard after it dried. The second piece is the one I sprayed with Cherry Metallic Maya mist. I really like the coverage the Maya Mist provides. Some of the other mists I tried didn't cover as well. The last piece is done with embossed paper that I very gently covered a heart with. I trimmed and sanded the edges. Then I inked the edges as well. I used my finished piece on this layout.



The little squares were also cut out on my Cuttlebug using the postage stamp die that came with the Cuttlebug. I inked the edges of those as well.

6 comments:

  1. What a great technique!! LOOOOVE the lo and I'm definitely going to give wet embossing a try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lvoe the idea of embossing chipboard to make your own embellishments, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. terrific idea!!!! gonna emboss some of my chipboard this weekend!! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful layout! Love the idea of embossing on chipboard!

    ReplyDelete