Monday, June 25, 2012

Creating a Unique background Paper

Hi, it's Marlene here.  I hope everyone had a nice weekend, I got to spend part of mine scrapbooking so I'm happy.
Thursday, June 21, Nancy posted a marbling tutorial on IFS.  It gave me a idea.  I wanted background paper reminencent of mahogany bark for a page about my adventure into a rain forest so I used a similar technique to make my own.  The two pager I had planned was 12 x 12 and my non-stick craft sheet (like Nancy used) was too small.  I have only managed to accumulate 3 distress inks and all 3 are the wrong colors. I improvised with the back of a Cricut mat and alcohol inks.
 With the 6 different colors of alcohol inks, I randomly applied dots of color, like this first illustration.  When I had the mix I wanted  (you have to work quickly because alcohol ink dries quickly), I pressed a sheet of white paper on the wet ink.  The colors were a little bright for the natural look I was going for so I applied Staz On Dove Gray ink with a rubber brayer to muddle the colors some.
I used this technique two different times for the two pager I had in mind and here is the result.

5 comments:

  1. Great idea Marlene and your background looks awesome, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great technique! The background is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative way to achieve the look you wanted! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete